Have you ever had a quilt design go horribly wrong at the end of the process? I imagine it’s happened to someone before, only not to me. I have Electric Quilt, I’m supposed to be able to work out all the kinks on paper (or on screen) before a single fabric is cut. Well, that didn’t work for me this time. And it’s not EQ’s fault, it’s all user error.
You see, I found this oh-so-cute fabric online:
And I decided to make it the focus fabric for my granddaughter’s first quilt. And I used the swatch to design it.
Here is the first version:
And I loved it very much.
But when my fabric order arrived and I took it down to Quilting Adventures to pull the coordinating fabrics, it quickly became apparent that my original color palette was too pastel for the fairies fabric. Also, the EQ version looks very busy and the scale of the fairies is actually quite large, each fairy is about 5 inches wide. I was originally going to put the fairies into the interior blocks too, but even with 9 inch blocks, the fairies wouldn’t show in those small patches. So I scrapped that plan.
I bought small pieces of the coordinating fabrics so that I could change the EQ design accordingly:
I wasn’t crazy about this, but I couldn’t really put my finger on the reason, other than that the border was so much lighter-looking than the interior. Well, I went and bought all the fabric anyway and made the quilt top. I guess at that point I was just hoping it would all work out in the end.
I knew I wasn’t going to get it completely finished by Christmas, but I had to have the top done this week because Erin’s local friends were throwing her a surprise baby shower and I wanted to present it to her then. And I worked on it up until the day before the shower. I spent an entire afternoon putting on the borders and when it was hanging on my design wall, I had a disheartening realization:
I HATED IT.
I’ve never had this happen before. But there was no way I was going to give it to her like this, and I wasn’t going to scrap the whole thing either. I could have, she didn’t know about it. But I’ve put several months into this project and damn it, I’m going to fix it.
I decided that one thing I didn’t like about this is that the pink fabric, which looks so nice with the purple, does not look good with the fairies. It did in the quilt shop, but not at home. So I took the fairies border off. The fairies will only be on the back. The fairies will not touch the front of the quilt. The narrow purple border will stay, and I’ll bind it with the same fabric.
We do have a happy ending. The shower was last night and Erin loves the quilt. That’s all that matters.