I had seen a quilt with this block in a magazine and decided I would like it in a baby quilt. I looked for it in the EQ7 block libraries and also in BlockBase, but didn’t find it because I was searching on “pinwheel.” I had to ask around and someone else found it in BlockBase as “turnstile” although the pinwheels turned the other direction. By then I had already drafted it myself, which is the better way to go, because we all need practice with Electric Quilt, don’t we?
I made a 9″ test block, for an adult-size quilt and it came out very nice. I’m always hesitant to work with triangles but this was a breeze:
Although it doesn’t look like it, it is square.
But for a baby/kids quilt, 9″ blocks are too big, because there are not enough of them to make for a good looking layout. So I tried 6″:
What a disaster! When I squared it up to 6.5″, I lost my seam allowances on 2 sides and one side is not a full 1/4″.
So I tried it again:
But I also wanted to try paper-piecing:
Holy cow, this is what happens when you don’t print a mirror image of the block. And to think I got the whole thing put together before I figured that out.
So I did that and tried again:
It came out very lovely in the end, but not without some drama. I found that in one of the quadrants I’d switched the positions of the light and printed fabrics and had to take it apart and fix it.
This is why I don’t design many quilts on my own. Too much stress! LOL