No quilts on the design wall this week. I’m making a gift from Burda 9708, a pattern I’ve made a couple of times for my granddaughter.
Two observations about this pattern. One, there are two pattern pieces missing from the cutting layout. No big deal because they are both cut on the fold and there aren’t too many different ways to accomplish that. I don’t know that I’ve ever run into a commercial pattern with a misprint, but then, this is the one and only Burda pattern I’ve ever worked with.
Two, I didn’t pay attention until now that Burda wants me to place my fabric right sides together (wrong sides out), something I’ve never, ever done with a clothing pattern. I’ve turned pattern pieces upside down when it’s called for, but I’ve always positioned my fabric right side out. This is a very symmetrical pattern, so there should be no issues with pieces facing the wrong way, but I went to the Sewing forum for assurances that if I cut it out Burda’s way, the dress wouldn’t have to be worn inside out LOL. There were a variety of opinions on why this would be called for, one of which is the ease of marking on the wrong side of the fabric. Personally, I don’t usually have problems marking notches, darts, etc. but maybe it’s because I’ve always done it one way.
Now one new thing I tried and it’s either brilliant or incredibly stupid. This pattern has facings that will be reinforced with fusible interfacing. Rather than cutting out the facing and interfacing separately, I layered the interfacing on top of the fabric and then pinned on the pattern and cut them out at once. That should give me a better chance of the interfacing exactly matching the facing. Not that it would be off much anyway, but it is a little more efficient, time-wise.
That’s all from Short Pump, here’s what’s going on at Judy L’s page. Check it out!