I’m still whining about how these units are to be sewn together, but I’m feeling a little more confident that I’m on the right track. The blocks in all the rows are attached to each other now. After showing that corner unit to a friend, she feels that it’s correct and that there will just be some trimming before I sew the long sashing strips to the rows. I did some measuring and compared that to my layout in EQ7 and it appears there will also be some trimming around the perimeter after the top is constructed.
Another discovery we made is that the designer of the original quilt made her setting triangles by cutting extra diamonds in half both lengthwise and crosswise. Margaret says that’s not the way to do it because it doesn’t allow for the seam allowances. Looking closely at the photos in the tutorial, we can see where her units came up short in the places where mine overhang. She must have just made up for it in the seam allowances, but I’d rather have mine too big and then cut it down.
Margaret and I talked about a new project or two, sewing baby quilts for our company’s United Way auction. I’ll share details later.
That’s what’s going on in Short Pump, check Judy L’s page for everyone else’s projects.