This is my 501st post! I didn’t even realize I’d hit a milestone last time.
The top is done! Hip hip hooray!
It has a number of problems but is surprisingly pretty square. So I don’t think I’m going to trim much off the outside edges.
The side setting triangles don’t match.
This bottom setting triangle had to be eased in and it isn’t pretty. I’m surprised there was only one that didn’t fit right.
It’s a good thing this was a test and not a commission. Ha!
What did I learn from this? Find someone who’s done it before and done it well. (Preferably with a book or published pattern.)
A points trimmer would have been handy. I have one, but I didn’t think to use it. I think it would have helped fit a lot of those points together and taken the guesswork out of it. Would it have taken all the guesswork out? I wouldn’t think so, but wouldn’t it be ironic if that’s the only thing that would have taken this quilt from near-disaster to perfection?
I’m willing to try again. When I made this one, I used the cutting measurements straight out of Electric Quilt the way I designed it, not knowing there was more to it (and no, it’s not in the user guide). By specifying that the diamonds measure 6″ finished, the actual cutting was done with weird-sized strips and the markings on the Fons and Porter diamond-cutting template/ruler I used (sorry, don’t remember the name of it) didn’t help. I had to use blue masking tape to mark the spot to line up with the cut edge of the fabric. Next time, I’m going to size the quilt based on the size of the strips I want to cut (a whole number on the ruler) which means doing some math and inputting a fake dimension to make EQ calculate it the way I want it. At least, that’s my theory.
That’s what’s going on in Short Pump, go to Judy L’s page to see what everyone else is working on.