Today’s design wall picture is actually from yesterday at Stitchers, before I started sewing the sashings to the diamonds.
I have had some consternation with this pattern that I had drafted in EQ7 and wasn’t getting the expected results with the rotary cutting instructions.
(I am following an online tutorial where the quilter used 60deg diamonds but smaller than mine, and used 1″ finished sashings. So I knew it could be done.)
But EQ7 wanted me to cut 1-3/8″ strips with a 7/8″ finished sashing and I had specified 1″ finished. I just wasn’t understanding why and finally today on the INFO-EQ mailing list, I got my answer (it’s complicated, there’s MATH involved LOL).
I cut my strips 1-1/2″ and chain pieced the diamonds to each strip like the tutorial says to do. That went well, except for the first angle cut I made where I didn’t see that I was supposed to press my diamonds first and then cut the angle. So I had to re-do that first one.
So now all the diamonds have a sashing strip on one side. This morning I sat down to do the same thing with the corners, and top/bottom and left/right setting triangles. Yikes, I couldn’t figure out what angle I needed to cut and where (the tutorial doesn’t have a photo of that step), so I stopped before I did something stupid. 🙂
One of the suggestions I got from INFO-EQ is to make a separate layout when doing any on-point quilts, doing all that math just for accurate rotary cutting instructions. I’m afraid that when I do that, I’ll find out that my diamonds are cut wrong. Maybe what I should do is just cut all those sashings down by 1/8″. I could live with a 7/8″ finished sashing.
When I laid all the diamonds out on my design wall at home, they didn’t line up right. And I’m wondering if that’s because of the 1-1/2″ sashings. I’ll have to ask INFO-EQ.
So that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.
Check out Judy L’s page to see what everyone else is working on.