Our favorite family cookbook is out of print. Published in 1969 by the Knudsen Corporation, a dairy company in Los Angeles, the recipes in Cooking for Compliments focus on dairy products (naturally) and there isn’t one I’ve tried that we haven’t liked. From time to time my daughter, the new bride, will ask for a recipe so I will post them here. Keep in mind that they are all high in fat because 1969 was well before we knew better. I substitute low-fat versions.
Sour Cream Scalloped Potatoes
2 lbs boiling potatoes, pared and thinly sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 recipe Basic Sour Cream Sauce (below)
1/8 tsp paprika
1 cup Buttered Bread Crumbs (double the recipe below)
1. Gently parboil potato and onion in salted water to cover until just tender, about 5 or 10 minutes. Drain.
2. Prepare Basic Sour Cream Sauce and add paprika.
3. Layer half the potato-onion mixture and half the sauce in an 11x7x2″ baking dish. Repeat with remaining halves. Sprinkle with crumbs.
4. Bake uncovered at 350F, 30 minutes or until potatoes are very tender and sauce is bubbling.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Basic Sour Cream Sauce
2 tbsp (1/4 stick) butter or margarine
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt (omit if using broth)
Dash cayenne pepper
1 cup milk or 1 cup chicken broth
1 cup (1/2 pint) sour cream, at room temperature
1. On medium heat, melt butter in stainless steel, enamel or glass saucepan. Stir in flour and cook until bubbly.
2. Add milk or broth all at once and cook, stirring, until thickened and smooth. Stir in seasonings.
3. Empty sour cream into medium bowl; gradually add hot sauce stirring constantly (to prevent curdling).
4. Return to pan and heat gently to serving temperature. Taste and correct seasonings if needed.
Makes 2 cups sauce.
Buttered Bread Crumbs
1 slice bread
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1 tbsp minced parsley (optional)
1. Tear bread into blender jar or food processor; blend until crumbly.
2. Melt butter in fry pan over medium heat; toss crumbs in butter until lightly browned. Remove from heat and add parsley.
Makes 1/2 cup buttered crumbs.